Competencies and Goals
1. Identify as a professional social worker and conduct oneself accordingly.
2. Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
3. Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments.
4. Engage diversity and difference in practice.
5. Advance human rights and social and economic justice.
6. Engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research.
7. Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
8. Engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well-being and to deliver effective social work services.
9. Respond to context that shape practice.
10. Engage, assess, intervene, and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
1. To provide social work students with the theoretical constructs,
knowledge, and applicable skills required for competent generalist
social work practice.
2. To prepare social work students to advocate and be sensitive to
the needs of vulnerable and disenfranchised populations in both rural
and urban regions.
3. To promote social and economic justice, and empowerment necessary to alleviate poverty, oppression and discrimination.
4. To prepare competent entry-level professional social workers with a commitment to social work values and service.