W.E. O'Bryant Bell Tower Brick Inscription
The Bell Tower, standing majestically in the center of the quadrangle, is a symbolic representation of unity, commitment, pride, fortitude, and industry. It is our rallying point. The Tower was conceived during the administratin of Dr. Lawrence A. Davis, Sr., who served 29 years as President of AM&N College and one year as UAPB’s Chancellor.
State funds were unavailable for such a project. But once the decision was made, Dr. W.E. O’Bryant, then president of the National Alumni Association, and the Alumni, agreed to sponsor the project and help finance it.
Alumni pledged and contributed. Students who wanted to be a part of this exciting efforts contributed nickels, dimes, and quarters. Classes and organizations also held fundraisers and contributed. By 1943, the Bell Tower was on its way.
The Rufus L. Caine Endowed Chair is a fundraising activity undertaken by friends, former students, and family members of Dr. Caine. The purpose is to provide much needed funding in the areas of health and allied health professions (Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Osteopathy, Optometry, Physical Therapy, Medical Technology, Nursing, etc.) and to honor Dr. Caine for his years of dedication to the sciences.
The Hicks-Holiday Legacy Society is named in honor of the late Dr. Charles A. Hicks ‘34 and the late Dr. Charles A. Hicks ‘34 and the late Dr. O.R. Holiday ’37. Both were graduates and long time supporters of AM&N/UAPB. Hicks, who died in 2005, left a legacy as a retired educator/administrator and star collegiate athlete. Holiday was a retired professor/chairman in the Department of Agriculture at AM&N/UAPB and community and church leader.