The department seeks to provide undergraduate instruction that enhances student learning and enriches the lives of our students for life. It provides a firm foundation in liberal arts education as well as training in the techniques and procedures of scientific inquiry. Students are properly prepared for careers in their chosen fields of study and also for graduate and professional schools.
1. To teach students concepts, theories, and methods of the social and behavioral sciences.
2. To introduce students to the basic social processes of society, social institutions, and patterns of social behavior.
3. To train students to interpret objectively and to understand the role of social processes, social institutions, and social interactions in their lives.
4. To enable students to cope effectively with the socio-cultural and interpersonal process of a constantly changing, complex society.
5. To train students for positions in criminal justice, gerontology, social studies, social work; for teaching positions in history and social studies; and for law school.
6. To prepare students for graduate study in criminal justice, gerontology, history, political science, psychology, social work, and sociology.
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff