Admission to the Program
Declaration of social work as a major does not guarantee admission to
the Social Work Program. All social work majors must formally apply to
the program at the end of their sophomore year. Application materials
must be completed and submitted to the Social Work Program by March 15
for the Fall semester of the year he/she plans to seek admission. The
applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. Complete all freshman and sophomore course requirements in the
B.S.W. curriculum. Failure to take all prerequisite courses may result
in denial of admission and/or progression.
2. Document a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or higher. When
the cumulative semester grade point falls below 2.0, the student is
placed on probation. In order toremain in the program, the student must
raise his cumulative grade point to at least 2.00 by the end of the next
semester of enrollment.
3. Earn a minimum grade of “C” (2.0) in all social work prerequisite
and liberal arts courses: SWRK 2305, 2307, PSYC 2300, PSYC 3303, MDFL
2311, MATH 1330, BIOL 1450, ENGL 1311, ENGL1321, and SPCH 2390.
4. Provide transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
5. Submit two letters of recommendation. Completed applications are
reviewed by the Social Work Program faculty. Accepted applicants are
notified and are eligible for enrollment in specified third-and
fourth-year professional social work courses. Applicants who are not
accepted are advised to pursue opportunities in other curriculum areas.
The Social Work Program is a professional program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).