- To teach students the concepts, theories, and methods of the behavioral and social services.
- To introduce students to the basic social processes of society, social institutions and patterns of social behavior.
- To train students to understand and to interpret objectively the
role of social processes, social institutions and social interactions
in their lives.
- To enable students to cope effectively with the socio-cultural
and interpersonal processes of a constantly changing complex society.
- To train students for positions in criminal justice, gerontology, social science and social welfare.
- To prepare students for graduate study.
- To strengthen the marketable expertise in quantitative analysis
and computer applications in advertising, demography, marketing and the
The program requires a minimum of 124 semester hours for a Bachelor
of Arts Degree in Sociology. This includes the general education and
institutional requirements, sociology required courses and sociology
Required Courses (27 hours)
2310 Introduction to Sociology
2320 Social Problems
3305 Urban Community
3310 Social Psychology
3311 The Family
3312 Statistical Tech. in Social Science
3320 Race and Ethnic Relations
4310 Intro of Social Research
4330 History of Social Thought
Sociology Electives (9 hours)
(To be selected from the following):
3315 Inequality in America
General/Minor Electives (24 hours)
3325 Sociology of Sex Roles
3331 Rural Sociology
3343 Juvenile Delinquency
3360 Peoples & Cultures of Africa South of the Sahara
3370 Peoples & Cultures of Latin America
3380 Indians of North America
4330 Seminar in Sociology
It is recommended that sociology majors take general electives from
one program or any combination of programs within the Department of
Social & Behavioral Sciences: Criminal Justice, Political Science,
Psychology, Gerontology, History, and Geography. However, students can
also select courses from any area of interest including: ROTC, Business,
Computer Science, Biology, Physics, Journalsim, etc.
Minor in Sociology
A minor in sociology consists of 18 hours of course work. Sociology
courses 2310, 2320, 2330 and 4310 are required for a sociology minor.
The remaining six (6) hours are to be selected from 3000-4000 level